Monday, March 4, 2013

Entrepreneurs have two characteristics - ignorance and courage ~Robert Kiyosaki

There are as many pros to being an entrepreneur as there are cons. But I believe that the weight of one pro can outweigh any one, or even several, of those from the con list. Whereas I feel that the con of having a job outweighs even one of its pros.

Obviously, the first pro of having a job is the paycheck. But if you stop right there, we already have a problem. As soon as you take a look at that paycheck stub, you see that the government has already stuck it's grimy little hands into your earnings and taken at least 30% of your hard earned money! I have more problems with that concept than I have time to express.

Other pros can include things like being able to learn skills on the job and you have a few networking opportunities in this situation as well. But other than that, you are a marionette puppet with your strings immediately attached to your employer. They tell you what to do, when to do it, how to do it and how often to do it, when to show up for work, when to leave for lunch and when you're allowed to go home. I am way too stubborn to put up with any of that! I'm an adult, not a child.

If you do even one thing wrong, such as being too attractive or posting a picture of a receipt, or even doing the Harlem Shake you can wake up one day without a job! You are at the mercy of the employer. I've been an employer before. It's not the most fun thing in the world, especially when you have an employee who needs a job yet is no longer capable of performing the required duties. Sometimes you get fired for doing the right thing and likely saving someones life.


As an entrepreneur, you have freedom and flexibility. You set your own goals, you decide what you're going to do, how you're going to do it and when you're going to do it. Your schedule is yours and no one else's. The harder I work, the more money I make. When you have a job, no matter how hard you work one day, you're still earning the same amount of money as the next.

The first entrepreneurial endeavor I plan to accomplish is that of my Avon business. One of my mentors, Donald Trump, once said "If you're going to be thinking anyways, you might as well think big." So if I'm going to be an Avon representative, why not be one of the representatives who has 900 people in their downline and earns $100,000/year? If there are people out there who can do it, why couldn't I be one of those people? I've met those people. The only difference is they've been with Avon a whole lot longer than me.

With a home business, I have the freedom to work on the days I want to work, schedule my camping trips, vacations and lunch dates whenever I want to, and still work towards my ultimate goal. There is a different type of work effort that is involved in being self employed, and requires an acute sense of self discipline in order to accomplish what you want to get out of the freedom. Like Spidy's uncle once said, "With great power comes great responsibility." And so with entrepreneurship, with great freedom comes great responsibilities.


I do everything in life looking at the bigger picture. Right now, my big picture is earning a substantial income and being my own boss. I want to be the type of person who loves what they do for a living.


No comments:

Post a Comment